Words that don’t Reflect God’s Grace 10-23-23
“Watch that Tongue”
Last week I wrote about stepping outside of grace. That happens when born-again believers choose to do what they want rather than doing what God tells them to do. Today, I am picking up with "Watch that Tongue" The tongue is a small member of the body, yet it is the most dangerous of all.
· Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater condemnation. For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect (mature) man, able also to bridle his whole body.
· People should not try to be in this position unless they are called and have full assurance of the call. Those who teach must make sure what they are saying is true, because they are influencing other and God hold these people more accountable. Many people like to be in the spotlight, and if they are not called there will be greater condemnation. This is heard most, “God called me to preach” (from the pulpit). This is dangerous!
· If we put bits into the mouths of horses so that they obey us, we guide their whole bodies as well. Look at the ships also: though they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs. So also, the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things.
· How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell. [demonic spirits – kingdom of darkness is influencing what people say, false doctrine, people cursing God].
· For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind, but no man (unsaved person) can tame the tongue. This means without the Spirit of God (born-again), no one can tame the tongue. It can’t be talking about saved people because the Word says, I can do all things through Christ who strengthen me (Philippians 4:13).
· It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. Does a spring pour forth from the same opening both fresh and salt water? Can a fig tree, my brothers, bear olives, or a grapevine produce figs? Neither can a salt pond yield fresh water (James 3:3-11).
· How many times have you seen people in the church praising God and they get out of church, somebody almost cause them to have an accident and they call people a bad name….. like fool.
We should avoid calling anyone any derogatory name in anger. It is especially bad to call a brother a fool in anger and hatred. This will be more detailed in the next message.
All of us should be careful what comes out of our mouths; once those words are spoken, they cannot be taken back.
· Although there is forgiveness, the damage has been done, and it is difficult for some to get over it. Remember this, the tongue is a powerful and harmful weapon; it shoots worse than a gun, and it is deadly; it stabs/cuts worse than a knife and the wound is deep.
Next - What Did Jesus Say About the Dangerous Tongue?
~ Betty A. Burnett ~