What Will Your 2022 Legacy Be? 12-30-2022
• Before going into today’s message, this is a testimony of an answered prayer. For years, my prayer partners and I have been praying regularly for my nephew whom most of the family has not seen in seven years.
• Two days ago, a prayer partner and I were praying for some people and my nephew was included. I asked the Lord to allow my nephew to show up so someone in the family would be able to see him.
• Lo and behold another nephew texted me with a picture of him and his brother. I was amazed how quickly it happened, although some of us were praying for years, but we did not give up.
Part of the message yesterday
• Knock and it will be opened to you. This means to be persistent in prayer. It has nothing to do with a lack of faith. There are different types of prayers and circumstances are different. We do not stop praying because the answer has not come. This was a desire, and it was God’s will.
• This is something that needs to be seriously considered about our lives before the new year comes if we live to see it.
• What kind of impression (legacy) or long-lasting impact took place in your life in 2022? The way you lived made a difference in somebody’s life. The question is, did you allow your light to shine so bright (Matthew 5:16)? Or, when others saw you, they were not able to tell if you were – ‘Quote’ “On the Lord’s side or the devil’s side.”
• Were you trying to live a double life which is not possible? You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons; you cannot partake of the Lord’s table and of the table of demons (1 Corinthians 10:21). Plus, a doubleminded person is unstable in all his ways (James 1:8).
• Will people say this about you? That person talked about the Lord, but the way they carried themselves was totally different. Will someone say like I too have said, “I’m not going to “Such and Such” church the way I see some of those people act.
• Back in the day they would say: “Every tub has to sit on its own bottom” or “Judgment day is coming”
• The bottom line is this, we cannot allow what someone does or doesn’t do affect our walk with Christ, because it is a personal relationship. Each of us has to stand before Christ for ourselves, not for someone else (2 Corinthians 5:10). No excuses! Our lives will be exposed and judged by Christ.
• Since God has a plan, why not allow His will to be fulfilled. The first step is repentance (1 John 1:8-9) for all of us; none of us are perfect and we live in these flesh bodies that are sinful (Romans 7:18).
Let’s purpose to start 2023 with a clean slate, if the Lord allows us to see it.
~Betty A. Burnett ~
Ask, Seek, and Knock (Matthew 7:7-11) 12-29-2022
• In continuing with the theme for whatever time the Spirit leads, this scripture is misunderstood and it is not rightly divided. The theme: “God Has a Plan” lines up with what His will is for us.
• Years ago, someone asked a question about this scripture, and their thinking was whatever is asked of God, He will do it. I am going to explain what these three words, ask, seek and knock mean according to the Word of God.
• Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!
• Ask [make an earnest request] and it shall be given - the Bible says if I ask anything in Jesus names it shall be given to me - give what He knows is best for his child. Would a good father give his child a million dollars knowing that he would squander it? When the question was asked if a son asks his father for bread or fish, would he give him a stone or a serpent?
• It would be absurd for a father to give his child something that would harm him. The scripture is saying that a father would give his children what is good for them.
• When James wrote: Yet you do not have because you do not ask. The scripture doesn’t stop there, it goes on to say: You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss [This "hearing" has the attitude of refusing to take heed and therefore is inattentive "hearing" that will not comply], that you may spend it on your pleasures (James 4:3). In other words, the motives and attitudes are wrong, they were asking according to their lust- gimme, gimme, gimme.
• Seek [search for, desire] The Word says: And you will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart (Jeremiah 29:13). God does not want us to be seeking Him half-heartedly; He wants us to be sincere and seek Him first rather than seeking Him for what He can give (Matthew 6:33).
• What things will be added? Things that we need (Philippians 4:19). What about God giving us the desires of our hearts (Psalm 37:4). We must delight ourselves in the Lord and that means whatever His will is for us, the provisions are there.
• Knock and it will be opened to you. This means to be persistent in prayer. It has nothing to do with a lack of faith. There are different types of prayers and circumstances are different. We do not stop praying because the answer has not come. Sometimes we just thank the Lord in advance for answering what we prayed for.
• The bottom line is this- God has a plan for our lives and we believe according to His Word that His purpose for our lives will be fulfilled.
Why? Because we want His will to be not ours (Matthew 6:10, Luke 22:42).
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope (Jeremiah 29:11).
~ Betty A. Burnett ~
Making Plans for 2023? 12-28-2022
• There is nothing wrong with making plans but plans can change, and this is the reason why. No one knows what the next minute will bring.
• Being ready as some say “To meet your Maker” is what counts. I haven’t planned anything except a trip in a few days. But even with that being so, who knows what will happen between now and then.
• Whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away (James 4:14). When the Word of God says “life is but a vapor” that means mist or smoke that goes in the air and it is not seen anymore.
• Instead, you ought to say, If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that (James 4:15).
• If you are pursuing a career, getting a new house, have a new job lined up; it could or it could not happen. Not only is life just a vapor, but there is no certainty in the new house, a promised position at your job, or getting a college degree.
• Something could come up unexpectedly and cause all your dreams to fall apart. Why am I saying this? Because it has happened to me. In 2013, I was so sure that I was going to move into my own place, but my whole world fell apart. I was listening to a Televangelist and every time he spoke it was as if he was speaking directly to me about my situation.
• When what was spoken did not happen, it tore me to pieces, but God had another plan for my life. There were some things I needed to go through to get where I am now naturally and spiritually. When we get to a point that it is more about God that all the earthly things, it becomes easy to accept whatever His will is for our lives, even when we don’t understand (Proverbs 3:5-6).
• When we know that God is in control and He has a plan we come out of our selfish thinking and think like God thinks.
• For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope (Jeremiah 29:11).
We can plan, but our planning is not a sure thing. Remember this, God knows what is best for His children.
~ Betty A. Burnett ~
Jesus Christ is the Same Yesterday, Today, and Forever (Hebrews 13:8) 12-27-2022
• When the world celebrates Christmas, the children of God should be celebrating CHRIST! And He is not only the reason for a particular season, but Jesus Christ is also the reason for every season!
• Therefore, He is to be recognized and honored every season! Since Jesus is the same….. being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ (Philippians 1:6).
• What are the good works that God started? He provided salvation through Christ which is just the beginning. It is up to us to work out our salvation, which should be progressive. This is being a good steward of what God has given us to manage, which also means our gifts.
• Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure (Philippians 2:12-13).
• Remember this, God is not going to do this for us, because He has given us some free will to make choices and He has given us the ability to fulfill our purpose for His glory.
• Hopefully, we will make the right choices to obey His unchanging Word and to function in our calling. For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, you are God’s building (1 Corinthians 3:9).We are to cooperate with God in establishing His kingdom on earth as it is in heaven.
• Seasons change, but the Word of God never changes. Who is the Word? Jesus is the Word who became flesh and lived among humans for some seasons and a reason. Just because Jesus left physically, that doesn’t mean that things changed.
• Don’t forget to give Him the reverence that He deserves every day and in every way you can. For “He alone is worthy, He alone is worthy, He alone is worthy, Christ our Lord”!
~ Betty A. Burnett ~
Christmas Celebration is Over, Now What? 12-26-2022
• Yesterday was such a blessing to be with family and our extended family. The brunch (late morning meal) was delicious and the hostess really had everything well organized. Later on, came gift giving, which was also such a blessing, especially for the children because that’s the main thing most kids like about Christmas.
• How was Christ involved? After all He is the greatest gift of all! I saw LOVE in action, and that was more important than all the material gifts. Love was wrapped in every gift; love was revealed by the hosts, as they opened their doors to all who showed up.
• The brunch was over; the gifts were opened and there was plenty of paper balled up and had to be thrown away. The question is, was Jesus thrown away in the paper and the concentration was just on the material gifts.
• A few days ago, I wrote about Jesus not being boxed in, that He could not be contained in a box because Jesus Christ is bigger and greater than any box. Not only that, but He is also the best gift anyone can have. It was also mentioned that Jesus is the Star on top of the tree.
• The emphasis today is, with Jesus being symbolic of the gifts that were shared. Did He get balled up and thrown away with the Christmas wrap or was He still the gift that was shared and appreciated.
• Sharing Jesus Christ, the greatest gift is what every season is all about (Matthew 28:19-20). Therefore, as the year continues let the Star shine bright thought you for others to see (Matthew 5:13-16).
• Lastly, let’s be mindful of The One who caused us to get materialistic things and give praises, honor, and glory to Him.
• So it shall be, when the LORD your God brings you into the land of which He swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to give you large and beautiful cities which you did not build, houses full of all good things, which you did not fill, hewn-out wells which you did not dig, vineyards and olive trees which you did not plant—
when you have eaten and are full—
then beware, lest you forget the LORD who brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage. (Deuteronomy 6:10-12).
• Keep sharing God’s Love whenever and wherever you can! Sharing is caring and caring is LOVE (1 Corinthians, chapter 13).
~ Betty A. Burnett ~
Merry Christmas to My Friends and Family Across the Globe
Help me honor Jesus Christ, our King’s birth.
Therefore, the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel (Isaiah 7:14). Immanuel means God with us.
For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Of the increase of His government and peace
There will be no end.
Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom,
To order it and establish it with judgment and justice
From that time forward, even forever (Isaiah 9:6-7)
And when they had come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary His mother, and fell down and worshiped Him. And when they had opened their treasures, they presented gifts to Him: gold, frankincense, and myrrh (Matthew 2:11).
As the men of old worshipped the child, let’s not forget to commemorate His birth and worship our King Jesus!
O’ come let us adore Him, Christ the Lord.
For He alone is worthy, He is alone is worthy, Christ the Lord.
May your day be blessed!
Betty A. Burnett
Gifts in Boxes 12-24-2022
• While sitting at the table at an event that I was invited to, this is what came to my ear. It is two days before Christmas and throughout the world, people are moving about here and there rushing to do their last-minute shopping.
• I am not speaking in the first person because some may think I’ve lost it! So, I am saying it this way. “During your moving about shopping for gifts, remember that Jesus is the Greatest “Gift” anyone could ever have” (John 3:16).
• So, during your wrapping don’t put Him in a box because Jesus cannot be contained in any box, regardless of the size, not even the largest box in the world.
• A couple of weeks ago, a tree was placed on each floor at the complex where I live. Lights were already on the tree. When I went to the foyer to take the elevator, the tree was there, and it really gave me joy.
• It was such a delight to see because I love lights “It lit my fire” (inspired me). I started decorating the tree; some other residents joined in, and it became a team effort.
• Since there were no specific rules as far as what could go on the tree, some of the ornaments were not according to my liking. However, it was not my tree and my mouth was mum, it is not about offending others.
• There were many types of ornaments on the tree, some ‘quote on quote’ religious and others were different. Yet, for those of us who are born-again, we are required to keep godly standards. This message is for God’s children, and it is not so much about the decoration, but about putting Jesus in a box.
• To the main point is honoring Jesus Christ regardless of what is on the tree, It’s what in our hearts that matters. As born-again believers are we putting Him in a box under a tree, or are we allowing Him to be the Star on top of the tree.
• If He is on top of the tree, there is no way possible for Christ to be in a box. Saints let’s remember that above all that we do, Christ is to be honored, worshipped, and adored above everything.
• I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star (Revelation 22:16).
Perhaps the Lord is allowing this nationwide brutal weather to get our attention. Have a Joyous and Peaceful Christmas Eve basking in His presence!
He is the reason for every season - O come let us adore Him, Christ our Lord!
Have a Joyous and Peaceful Christmas Eve
Betty A. Burnett
Wishing All Those Who were Born on December 23rd a “Blessed Birthday”
Memories, Sweet Memories
• I am cherishing the golden memories of my late sister Nancy B. Nichols who would have been 83 years old today. She will never be forgotten, my heart often aches because Nancy is no longer here, yet when I recall all the wonderful times the Lord allowed us to be together, it gives me joy.
Precious memories, how they linger, how they ever flood my soul!
“Happy Birthday” Alma
• This is for my Cousin Alma P. Windley who is celebrating her 89th birthday today. Alma and Nancy shared their birthdays on the same day, just different years. I pray that the Lord will grant you the desires of your heart, that you will continue to be prosperous in whatever you do. I am grateful to the Lord for allowing you to be in my life and for our close knit bond
Love you, Betty
Celebrating One Year Anniversary of Overflows 12-22-2022
• On December 22, 2021, I became a resident of New Jersey for the third time. God has opened up the windows of heaven and poured out so many blessings that there has not been room enough to receive them (Malachi 3:3:10-11). This promise has to do with being obedient.
• Years ago, a book titled “The Prayer of Jabez” was published and a lot of people were using this phrase “Lord enlarge my territory. I told them that they had to go through something for that to happen.
• Now Jabez was more honorable than his brothers, and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, Because I bore him in pain. And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested (1 Chronicles 4:10).
• I can say that like Jabez, there was a lot of pain before my coast (territory) was enlarged. I went from the south to the north and to me that is an expansion of Burnett Ministries because it is still based in Greensboro, NC. Doors are opening wider to do greater work. The intercessory prayer warriors have been together for more than twenty years and we are still going strong in Jesus’ name.
• So many things have taken place with me, helping my nieces with their business, being available for family and others, letter opener for the Board of elections, attending council meetings. Love doing Zumba and attending other events where I reside. I am so abled bodied, walk wherever and whenever I can.
• I also lead a Bible study class and constantly praying for people, do visitations
• There were two interviews – Labakcare and some Rutgers University nursing students that they were graded on; just found out the made one hundred percent, praise God!
• Some of my family have treated me with so much love and respect that it is just unbelievable.
• Yesterday topped it off- by mid-morning I was told that someone wanted to see me. This awesome woman whom I call my niece came with a beautiful Christmas bin full of food, along with several types of drinks and two quite sizable gift cards that were donated by a bank and a sorority.
• I received three calls that other gifts were on the way, was told that a surprise was coming to me later. A call came through that someone had a need and I drove them to their appointment, later opened my pocket and I was amazed at the blessing. When I reached my destination, another gift was waiting for me. Yesterday was truly icing on the cake for me.
Take away from this message
• I know this is where the Lord has ordained me to be. Even though there are obstacles and so on, God shows Himself mightily to others through the way He is blessing me. Bragging on God because He did it! Everything good that happened to me, GOD DID IT!
My life is so enriched and I am walking in my blessings!
Betty A. Burnett
Living This Life to Live Again 12-21-2022
• This is another message that came from a quote that was sent to me by a teacher friend. We share and fine tune ourselves as we dig into the Bible regularly. He usually sends me something that perks my interest and the last couple times, I felt like a message could come out of the quotes that would help others.
• As I was getting on the computer to type a message from the quote, this title popped up “Living This Life to Live Again.” This had to come from the Spirit of God; I don’t want to take credit since I can do nothing without Christ (John 15:5).
We often hear, “Life is short……better enjoy it!”
How about, “Eternity is long, better prepare for it!”
• I began to look up what this quote could possibly mean and one of the definitions was what was already in my mind. Definition- Live every day as if it was your last day; we will all die someday, we just don’t know when. It could be tomorrow or fifty years in time but this day will arrive.
• This is what I feel that needs to be conveyed. Some people live as if their lives are not coming to an end. They enjoy life to what they consider the fullest.
Example of someone who thought he was going to live on and on.
• Then He [Jesus] spoke a parable to them, saying: The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully. And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, since I have no m to store my crops?
• So, he said, I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods. And I will say to my soul, Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry.
• But God said to him, 'Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided? So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God (Luke 12:16-21)
Tomorrow is not promised
• Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor, that appeared for a little time, and then vanishes away (James 4:14).
• One can still live life to the fullest as if it was their last day. That means they are fulfilling their purpose by being a good steward of what God has given them to manage (gifts and etc.); have inner peace despite what is going on around them; have joy that the world didn’t give and the world can’t take away.
• How are you living your life and do you know where you will spend eternity that never ends? There are two places one can go, they can have the never-ending eternal life by receiving Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord (Romans 10:9-10, Ephesians 2:8-9), or they will spend eternal death in hell (lake of fire) and be tormented forever (Revelation 20:11-15).
• When one receives Jesus, there is also joy! Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents (Luke 15:10).
• We are approaching the day that has been set aside to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, which is supposed to be a time of joyous festivities commemorating HIM. That kind of Joy cannot be experienced unless there is a relationship with Jesus.
“I am living my life to live again” – Betty A. Burnett