Dance Like David Danced 9-25-2023
God had specific instructions as to how the ark (representing the presence of the Lord) was to be carried and the first time David did not follow instructions, therefore, the ark was taken from him and was with Obed-edom for three months. And the Lord blessed his family. When the ark was returned to David, he blessed his people with bread, meat, and wine; it was a celebration.
The principle is the same with the church, the presence of God is not there when they are not following His instructions.
2 Samuel 6:12-23
· How did David dance? He danced with all his might!
· Why did David dance? Because the ark (presence of the Lord) was returned to the city of David.
· Where did David dance? Before the house of the Lord and all the people shouted with the sound of the trumpet.
· Did it matter to David who saw him dancing before the Lord? No way! He did not care who saw him dancing!
Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, how glorious was the king of Israel today, uncovering himself today in the eyes of the maids of his servants, as one of the base fellows shamelessly uncovers himself!
· This is why some say David danced naked before the Lord. In those days, they wore outer garments and inner garments. Isn’t it the same today? Don’t we wear underwear?
So, David said to Michal, it was before the Lord, who chose me instead of your father and all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the Lord, over Israel. Therefore, I will play music before the Lord.
And I will be even more undignified than this and will be humble in my own sight. But as for the maidservants of whom you have spoken, by them I will be held in honor. Therefore, Michal the daughter of Saul had no children to the day of her death.
· This reminds me of Shirley Caesar’s song “Shouting John” Those dignified people didn’t want him shouting. He said, “Hold my mule” and guess what he did?
Our Father does not have a problem with us dancing; it depends on what kind of dance it is. When we go to secular events, like weddings, sports, or even a party, we don’t act like worldly people. When the Word says, God gave us all things to enjoy (1 Timothy 6:17), it means anything that is not evil. Sports, games, parties, dancing, and so on, were what people have done for thousands of years.
Secular – The word “secular” is often used to describe things that are not related to religion or spirituality.
Worldly - The word “worldly” can have a few different meanings, but it is often used to describe things that are related to the material world or worldly possessions. A worldly person is someone who is focused on material possessions, wealth, and power. They may be preoccupied with their own desires and pleasures, without much regard for the needs or well-being of others.
Please do not allow the devil to put you in bondage when God has liberated you. Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God (1 Peter 2:16). In other words, don’t use your freedom to entice in the lusts of the flesh.
Free ~ Betty A. Burnett