Do You Want Life or death, the Choice is Yours!
Death and Life are in the Power of the Tongue - Words that Don’t Reflect God’s Grace
· This message is crucial for the readers to understand because speaking death or life over yourself, over someone else, and to someone else is detrimental to their well being. If one speaks life (good things) over themselves and others that’s what they will get. On the other hand, if death (bad/negative words) that is what will happen.
Example of good being spoken
God said, He spoke and it was good and very good (Genesis 1:18, 21, 25, 31).
Look at the other end of the spectrum
The children of Israel complained and were in such disbelief that most of them did not make it to the promised land; they died out in the wilderness (Numbers, chapters 13-14).
· When we complain and speak negative (death) words, those words go into the atmosphere and they take effect. The Word of God says, Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit (Proverbs 18:21).
· The Word says those who love it will eat its fruit – You may ask, what in the world does that mean.
From John McArthur’s footnotes:
A person’s life largely reflects the fruit of his tongue. To speak life is to speak from God’s perspective on any issue of life, to speak death is to declare life’s negatives, to declare defeat or complain constantly.
Examples of what still happens in our time.
· I have heard of people telling their children that they wished they had not been born; some have said “You are going to amount to anything”; others have said “You are just like your no-good daddy”; while some have called them knuckle heads, empty brains, dumb, stupid, and so on.
· Don’t you realize these words took affect and that the power of the tongue caused some children to be damaged for the rest of their lives. Think about it, would you want someone to call you names that don’t reflect God’s grace?
Why would anyone want to continue shooting bullets out of their mouth?
· Ask God to forgive you and move on with your life. Let this be an experience that something can be gained from.
Bless you ~ Betty A. Burnett