A Touch from Jesus Will Make You Whole!
Old Gospel Songs that Moved and Soothed the Soul
· Many rhythm and blues, rock and roll African American recording artists got their debut in the church. And many of them flipped from their upbringing by arousing peoples’ emotions in the church to having people shake a leg and move and groove in the nightclubs.
· He had a smooth style that would have been difficult to imitate, and having such versatility, Sam Cooke was the man.
· Yesterday, I could not shake the song “Just Another Day that the Lord has Kept Me” So as I was considering what to write about the late great Sam Cooke, who sang so many songs that touched my heart, “Just Another Day” resonated with me.
· I also thought of all those songs he and the Soul Stirrers recorded and many of them were so meaningful to me.
Some of the songs were:
“If I Could Touch the Hem of His Garment”, which meant healing to me. And suddenly, a woman who had a flow of blood for twelve years came from behind and touched the hem of His garment. For she said to herself, If only I may touch His garment, I shall be made well. But Jesus turned around, and when He saw her He said, Be of good cheer, daughter; your faith has made you whole. And the woman was made well from that hour (Matthew 9:20-22).
“Jesus Gave Me Water and it Was Not From the Well”, this is salvation. But whoever drinks the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life (John 4:14).
“Be with Me Jesus”, God will never leave nor forsake us. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you (Hebrews 13:5).
“He’s so Wonderful” – “He’s my Shepherd and my Guide” The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff comfort me, my cup runs over.
· Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever (Psalm 23). I see God’s protection, how He feeds (nourishes) His sheep, God guides His sheep.
“Just Another Day that the Lord has Kept Me” God’s protection, and He given me more time on this earth because my days are numbered, and until the Lord says so, I am going to continue praising God for keeping me each and every day.
These songs touched me because they had scriptural meaning. As you go about today, put a song in your heart that lines up with the Word of God.
How could I ever forget “Jesus, I’ll
Never Forget What You’ve Done For Me” – Jesus, I’ll never forget how You set me free- No, no, no I’ll never forget. Despite the changes in Sam Cooke’s lifestyle, he wanted
“Jesus to be with him in his dying hour.” Hallelujah! Glory to God for songs that soothe the soul! It really makes me tremble to hear him sing
“Were You there when they crucified my Lord” What I heard in so many of Sam Cooke’s songs makes me believe e was connected to the Source!
A melodious heart ~ Betty A. Burnett