We are Being Delivered from the Power of Sin - Part 1
· The last two messages were pertaining to how we’ve been delivered from the penalty of sin, that we cannot lose our salvation, and we are no longer sinners.
· There are some who believe that since we have been delivered from the penalty of sin, that as Christians, we can live a sinless life. While others believe if you sin, after you are saved, you can lose your salvation.
· Just as it was stated in the penalty of sin, there is no sin left for God to judge because Christ was judged for our sin (our works are going to be judged; meaning what God has called us to do). So, can a true born-again Christian continue to sin? This was also written in the previous message, we are still in a sinful environment, and we are living in a flesh body that is subject to sin. We have sinful habits, not a sinful nature; one can only have one nature at a time.
· What about people who smoke and want to stop? They know it’s bad for them, and they may stop for a while, and fall back into that same habit. I have been there and done that.
· There may be certain foods that are harmful to the body. Going a diet is one reason some people want to stop bad eating habits. Yet they find themselves going back to eating the same food they desired to stop eating. Because someone falls back, does that mean they are not sincere, or don’t want to stop? Of course not!
· It’s the same with a Christian who wants to stop a sinful habit, but they fall back into it. Does that mean they were not sincere when they accepted Christ? Of course not!
· Have you ever had a problem with anger and wanted to stop? You’re driving and someone comes close to causing an accident. What is the first thing that comes out of your mouth? I don’t dare write what that or those words were, but you know what I’m talking about. Once you’re saved, your mind has to be renewed by the Word of God. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God (Romans 12:2).
· Some of the older folks used to say, “Lord in heaven knows” and I am saying the Lord in heaven knows that I have asked Him to forgive me many times, because it happened to me many times. Before I was born-again, I was notorious for using bad language (curse words). After my new life began, that old habit was still there because old habits are hard to kick.
· I believe the Lord allowed me to see that I still needed to be worked on, even though I love the Lord and want to do my best to please Him.
· Growth and being delivered from some things do not happen overnight. I will write about a man of God who wrote most of the New Testament books and the war that was going on in his body.
Coming tomorrow - We are Being Delivered from the Power of Sin – Part 2
~ Betty A. Burnett ~