The Apostate Church
· This series is pertaining to the church and how it has strayed away from the foundation of the prophets and apostles, with Jesus Christ being the chief cornerstone (Ephesians 2:20).
· Brothers and sisters, we’re living the times that are close to Jesus’ coming. Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you, not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of Christ had come. Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition (2 Thessalonians 2:1-3).
· All this foolishness that is happening today is like it was in the days of Noah. They ate, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed them all. Likewise, as it was also in the days of Lot: They ate, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they built; but on the day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven and destroyed them all. Even so will it be in the day when the Son of Man is revealed (Luke 17:26-30).
· Falling away – defection from truth, forsake, apostasy, to abandon.
Jesus said, I tell you that He will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth (Luke 18:8)? The period before Christ returns will be marked with persecution, apostasy, and unbelief. Jesus was confronted with opposition by the pharisees and false teachers.
· Jesus is talking about the church, when He said, Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth? His called out ones, the body of Christ. But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people….(1 Peter 2:9).
· The church reminds me of the prodigal son who decided he wanted to live a riotous life, he left his father and lived it up the world’s way (Luke 15:11-32). Be mindful to read this carefully; even though the son walked away from his father, the relationship never changed. Once you are born your relationship with your parents never change, no matter how far you go away from them. However, it does affect your fellowship.
· The church, like the prodigal son has moved away from Christ, which is called “fallen from grace” Paul talks about in the book of Galatians. Will Jesus find true faith on the earth? The Gospel is being diluted, and you won’t be able to find the true Gospel because the days will be marked by false doctrine.
What is the root of all this falling away?
· For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world (1 John 2:16).
For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their
greediness and pierced themselves through with many sorrows (1 Timothy 6:10).
Coming next – Lust for Things of the World
~ Betty A. Burnett ~